The recipe was inspired by this one
Nutella Oatmeal Scones
2 c flour
1/3 c brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp salt
1 c oats
3 oz unsalted butter (that’s 6 Tbs) cut into 1/4-in pieces
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c buttermilk
1 large egg, separated
1/2 c nutella
some sugar (preferably raw, but it doesn’t really mater) for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. Combine flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, oats, and cardamom in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with your hands until it looks like small peas.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolk, buttermilk, and vanilla. Set white aside.
4. Make a well in the center o the dry ingredients. Add the egg mixture, and then nutella. Gently knead the ingredients together.
5. If you’re me, you then flour a surface and take a handful of dough, cut it into four pieces, and put them on the tray. I just repeat that because I like to make smaller scones so I will have more of them. The recipe says you should make 8 and cook them for about 18-22mins. I cook mine for 9 mins because they are so small. Let them cool on the cooling rack.
Notes: Mine were kind of dry :( I tried to fix this by making a sort of buttery toping for them, so I have a butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, cocoa powder, cardamom topping going on…it’s definitely accidentally too chocolatey. I was hoping it would help the scones taste a little more exciting, but it didn’t : :(
Turnovers with random tasty fillings!
Ever wonder what to do with your leftover pie dough scraps? Make some turnovers with random fillings you have in your pantry or fridge. I used different combinations of jam, nutella and peanut butter.
-Roll out the dough and cut into rounds with a cookie cutter.
-Place a tablespoon or so of the filling. (Use egg wash or water to seal the edges)
- Brush your turnovers with an egg wash (beaten egg with a little water)
-Sprinkle with sugar and make three little slits on top!
-Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE NUTELLA (by SimpleCookingChannel)